Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)

I realize that the last two songs I did for #quarantinehootenanny had stories that involved George Harrison, so today (#14 of ???), I give you one of George's songs: Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth).

George says, "Sometimes you open your mouth and you don't know what you are going to say, and whatever comes out is the starting point. If that happens and you are lucky, it can usually be turned into a song. This song is a prayer and personal statement between me, the Lord, and whoever likes it."

In the summer of 1973, Give Me Love made it to the top of the Billboard 100, knocking My Love by Paul McCartney & Wings out of the #1 slot. Cover versions have been recorded by Sting, James Taylor, Elton John, and (my favorite) Dave Davies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Feed